Aug 26, 2010

Boundaries with and for Others

In the last post, we discussed boundaries and standards with one's self. In this one, I'd like to look at boundaries with others, which should stem from our standards.

Boundaries are there to tell people what is okay and what isn't. They tell people what we will stand for and what we will not. What are YOUR boundaries? Do you find yourself giving in? I know I occasionally have...

Boundaries can cover a lot of areas, including the following:

Boundaries with/for Others

·         Just say no… no need to explain (May your yes be yes, and your no be no)

·         Stay on the same stair

·         Physicality equal to relationship

·         I will wait only so long… time is precious and important

·         No guilt language… don’t tolerate it

·         No gossip or trash-talking… from self or others

·         Turn complaints into requests, and ask others to do the same

·         What would GOD say about that?

·         Call before coming over

·         Don’t assume I can, can’t, will, or won’t

·         If you’ve been around or eaten something I'm allergic to recently, don’t come around until it’s out of your system

·         What is your true intent? Be REAL…

·         Don’t bring cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol into my home

·         Don’t come into my home smelling like an ashtray or alcohol

·         Don’t curse in my home, or in my presence please

·         If you’re going to talk with me, speak the truth with love… don’t be harsh; I’ll do the same

·         Respect and keep your appointment times with me… if you can’t keep it, call as early as possible to let me know

·         Don’t talk down to me

·         Don’t try to proselytize me… I know what I believe

·         Get to know me for who I am rather than prejudging me on what I say or do or wear

·         Real relationships are always give and take… keep this in mind

·         Ask for what you REALLY want… don’t beat around the bush


What other boundaries can you think of? Where do your self-standards tell you you need to create a boundary with self or others in order to help you have a better life?

No comments:

Post a Comment