Jun 5, 2013

Joy

You know, sometimes there is a topic near to our hearts because a loved one is struggling with something that we aren't necessarily wanting to share with the world. Lately, some of those I love most dearly have been struggling with JOY. Jesus is to BE our Joy, and yet, it is also a characteristic of the Christ-walk we are called to as His followers. It can be a true struggle for many of us sometimes.

I know I have struggled with the concept and reality of joy more than I sometimes wish to admit, but it is the truth: there have been days where I had to nearly FORCE myself into a state of happiness when I was around others, knowing full well that happiness is NOT the same as JOY.

Happiness comes from the outside, while joy comes from within. Joy is a part of who we ARE. Happiness is circumstantial. Joy is from the Lord, while happiness can be from anything, really, including that which others are saddened about.

So let's take a brief look at what God says about joy:



In the Bible we see a lot of Scriptures about joy. We are told that the joy of the Lord is our strength, that it is one of the fruit of the Spirit, and also that we are to call it up into ourselves, as it were... David speaks sometimes of choosing joy in praise, which is a clue as to how we clothe ourselves with it. A few Scriptures are as follows... what are YOUR thoughts?

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth and sing for joy, yes, sing praises! - Psalm 98:4

Let the saints be joyful in the glory and beauty [which God confers upon them]; let them sing for joy upon their beds. - Psalm 149:5

If you keep My commandments [if you continue to obey My instructions], you will abide in My love and live on in it, just as I have obeyed My Father’s commandments and live on in His love. I have told you these things, that My joy and delight may be in you, and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing. This is My commandment: that you love one another [just] as I have loved you. - John 15:10-12

The heart knows its own bitterness, and no stranger shares its joy. - Proverbs 14:10

They who sow in tears shall reap in joy and singing. - Psalm 126:5

A man has joy in making an apt answer, and a word spoken at the right moment—how good it is! - Proverbs 15:23

Deceit is in the hearts of those who devise evil, but for the counselors of peace there is joy. - Proverbs 12:20

Light is sown for the [uncompromisingly] righteous and strewn along their pathway, and joy for the upright in heart [the irrepressible joy which comes from consciousness of His favor and protection]. - Psalm 97:11

Rejoice with those who rejoice [sharing others’ joy], and weep with those who weep [sharing others’ grief]. - Romans 12:15

Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean [ceremonially]; wash me, and I shall [in reality] be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness and be satisfied; let the bones which You have broken rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my guilt and iniquities. - Psalm 51:7-9

In every prayer of mine I always make my entreaty and petition for you all with joy (delight). - Philippians 1:4

My lips shall shout for joy when I sing praises to You, and my inner being, which You have redeemed. - Psalm 71:23

Webster's New World Dictionary defines joy as being equated with and synonymous of the words "happy," "glad," and "cheerful." A thesaurus relates it to "exultation," "rapture," "satisfaction" and "pleasure." Webster's specifically defines it as "a very glad feeling; happiness; great pleasure; delight." It also points out the way to being the source or cause of delight.

Psalm 4:5-8 tells us to "Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD. There are many who say, "Who will show us any good?" LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the season that their grain and wine increased. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

While this particular version of the Scripture doesn't use the word JOY specifically, it certainly points the way to it. Righteousness; trusting God; gladness of heart, which we are instructed to PUT ON as a garment, and allowing His peace to rule and reign in our lives. Other versions of the text say to clothe ourselves with JOY.

Isn't that a lovely word picture? Imagine that you're getting dressed for the day. what do you add to your attire? accessories as well as clothes qualify as part of the dressing routine, right? Well, now close your eyes and imagine each piece of clothes as a characteristic, or fruit, of the Spirit of God. Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV) tells us that "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

From dailyjesusnow.blogspot.com
 Joy is but ONE fruit of the Spirit, but all of the fruit come from the same place: the Holy Spirit working within the believer. And in the reference from John, where Jesus was speaking of the interrelation to our joy with His, and of joy with love. These do not become unentangled; the fruit of the Spirit is like a fishtail braid... each part is needed for there to be a good effect. Our JOY comes with the willingness to spend time with the Lord!

One last thing: There is a great article, 10 Characteristics of Joy, that may be another wonderful source for your understanding to further be built. It is written by fiction author Cynthia Herron.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. I love this! I do believe joy comes from within, through worshiping and praising Him. I especially love Psalm 126:5. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa Marie...

      Thank you so much for your input. As you know, YOU are one of those who has been on my heart regarding this, and so I am deeply moved that this has been a blessing to you. I love Psalm 126:5, too, for God gives us such a precious promise therein!
      I don't know if you checked out Cynthia's post, but it might also be a blessing to you... :)

      Delete