Aug 24, 2010

Dream, Reality, and Imagination

The following is from an essay I wrote in 2002. Still powerful to think and ponder on.

What is a dream? I say that a dream is how we, as individuals, regard our lives in addition to the lives we imagine or hope to be ours. Dreams, in this context, are nightmares and fantasies we repute as reality, when it indeed isn’t. I believe that we are God’s dream. Inasmuch as He created us, how can we be anything but dreamers who create? For to create, we must dream first, otherwise there isn’t anything to produce. I think it’s one of the finer gifts God blessed us with when He fashioned us in His likeness. What God does in and through each of our lives as we dream throughout life, I believe, is the only time we truly see reality here on earth.

Reality, I think, is what God makes of our lives despite all our daydreaming, and imagination, both God’s as well as ours, plays a key role here. God utilizes our imagination to spread His Word and do His will. He does this through the gifts He has given us. I believe that’s why some people paint, others sing, others yet still preach, and others write. I believe God gives us these gifts to show us what reality truly is. I don’t think we’ll fully understand reality until we are ushered inside heaven’s gates and meet the Lord.

Sometimes, though, I anticipate we imagine that reality is what we make it. I don’t suppose we as humankind entirely understand that God is reality… and therefore we cannot comprehend it until we can see God face-to-face.

I imagine that one day, far into the future – in fact, when we hit eternity –we will each look back and see the reality of just how much of a dream we truly live in. We will understand, finally, I believe, the meanings of reality, dream, and imagination in that instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment