Aug 24, 2010

Belief Statements

We all have things we believe. Things that help us to make decisions and things that guide us in life. But have those beliefs been really thought through and written down? Have they truly been guiding you?
 
Personal beliefs should act like a guiding star. They should be to us like the Star of Bethlehem, helping us find the path we should take. Without knowing what we believe, we are but wanderers through this life.


Below is my own example. There are nuances not added in here, but this is pretty basic. The beliefs I choose to disclose here are concerning my beliefs around the Godhead, though belief statements can be about anything from who we are to what we believe about nature, the world, or others.

 
Personal Statement of Belief


I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, for God is a Triune God, three-in-one. I believe God is both invisible, having no body on earth, and visible in His creation on earth, which testifies to His reality.

I believe that sin is the misappropriation or denial of God’s will, and that it skews both authenticity and relationship. It brings death.

I believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God and son of man, born of Mary, a virgin, baptized by John, ministered three years, crucified on a cross and raised again from his tomb to ascend to the right hand of God the Father. I believe Jesus saved humanity from its sins as its Redeemer, and that He lives always, from and in eternity.

I believe the Holy Spirit has always been, aids in the continued creation of the world, and was given to believers in Jesus Christ by Jesus Christ on the day of Pentecost. I believe He works in, through, and for the children of God on behalf of Christ and out of love for Him.

I believe the church is the corporate body of Christ, though it is imperfect, and being made perfect in Christ by the Spirit of God, is directed by the Spirit, and is the future bride of Christ at the end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment