Sep 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11

I was on the bus when it happened and found out about it when I arrived for my scheduled Access class.

Two people from the class immediately said they were moving to Canada. Throughout our class, whenever there was a break - and we took three times the normal amount - we all went online to get whatever new details we could. A birthday was celebrated that day, but we didn't really celebrate: the food was there, but most of us could eat nothing. The couple or three who could ate most of it.

I have a certificate from that class. A certificate that I will forever associate with the falling towers and the photos of the plane in the sky. Some people said it looked like there was a demon in the smoke. Others thought it was ridiculous, there was no demon, this was just some evil people doing evil and we didn't need demonic involvement for that to happen...

Whatever your beliefs... whatever was happening in YOUR life... where were you? What was your response?
--------------
The replies I received were as follows:


Vincent Wright
09/11/2010 6:51:10 am
Hi, Courtney,
I was at home watching Today Show's Matt Lauer interview an author about a book about Howard Hughes...it was quite a surreal day...I have several friends who survived being in those buildings...they have truly harrowing stories to tell...even though English words keep failing to capture the full impact of that day for them...
Harmony Courtney
09/11/2010 7:06:22 am
Thanks for sharing, Vincent... feel free to pass the link along. It'd be great to hear other stories!

Even though it was 9 years ago, I'm sure for some of those friends, it is still pretty fresh this time of year. My prayers are with them, and all who were there, directly affected by this tragedy.
Eric Thompson
09/11/2010 8:28:53 am
Hey Harmony,

It was a rare morning that I didn't watch the news or turn on my tv while getting ready for work, so I didn't know for some time. I got to the school where I teach and heard a third grader talking about "we're gonna die" and I told him not to talk like that. Then I worked the first two hours in total ignorance of what most of my class, the school, the world already knew. My partner told me during our break. I didn't really understand or believe him until that afternoon, when I saw the video playing in the staff room. I must've stood in shook for ten minutes as chills ran through me. I had to go back and reassess my entire day. The a week later, I broke my ankle, so I had plenty of time to catch up on the story.
Harmony Courtney
09/11/2010 8:36:23 am
Wow, Eric...

Thanks for sharing your story, broken ankle and all! Must have been quite a shock...

You might be interested in some of the other posts here, as well, dear friend. :) Jump in and say something whenever you like. Your comments are always appreciated...

No comments:

Post a Comment