Dec 14, 2009

Humbly Awed

What does it mean to be humbly awed by God? I’ve been thinking about this for part of the evening now and it had be recalling some of the times where this has occurred in my own life, which may help me find out… as you read this, consider… where have you been humbly awed? Feel free to share your stories… they are more than welcome!

I can think of the following off the top of my head, for my own life…


Petting an octopus when I was two

Being used by God in a myriad of differing situations, including two where He used me to help prevent suicides from happening

The births of children

The love I see for people who have died when I attend funerals

Being at the edge of the ocean… one of those times, a shark’s tooth rolled in on the waves at my feet, which was really awesome

Being the Seder Mom at a church event last year

The Stations of the Cross last year

Some of the things that God has done with my clients’ lives through coaching


What do these have in common? First of all, God. Secondly, they are experiential. Thirdly, they were things that I didn’t see coming, in many of ways… not in the way I thought they would, or not at all, depending on the situation. And that is where humble awe comes in: being open and aware and allowing God to do what He’s got planned and allowing ourselves to experience, take in, be drenched with His love in that moment. And as it happens, or later on, to reflect on all God has done for us… including the things we may never know He’s done.

I was talking with a friend the other day about God’s answers to prayer; sometimes He says yes, sometimes no, and sometimes not right now… but they are all answers to prayer. If we had gotten everything we’ve ever prayed for like we were sticking quarters into a gumball machine, our lives would be so much messier than they already are that we might not have made it this far. God knows what is best for us, individuals and corporately. He can see the future of each potential choice and pattern… and guides us even when we are unaware of it, steering up through the obstacles of life in such a way that our free will works with His will and we are able to grow in Him, if we allow ourselves to and allow Him to move in our lives. And again, this is where being humbly awed comes in…

Allow yourself to be humbly awed, and you’ll be amazed at what God can and will do in your life, my friend… if you are open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment